A Great Discovery¶
During one of our recent space explorations, we have discovered the existence of non-sentient alien lifeforms! Our mission team has already made some initial observations about their behaviour.
All time is measured in (earth) days.
- Each day they gather in groups of seven to feed and reproduce
- Excess individuals can not form a group.
- Any population with less than seven members therefore can not sustain itself.
- At the beginning of the day, each individual eats 0.25 kg of food.
- Afterwards, they will produce three offspring per group per day if excess food is available.
- If the food is insufficient, two of the group will perish each day.
- The rates of population change seem not to be influenced by the amount of food surplus or shortage
- At the end of a day these groups get dissolved, and the next day starts with new groups of seven again.
Our task is to build a growth model simulation that can predict the population of our new (hopefully) friends from a given population and static food supply.